Tuesday, September 14, 2010

September 2010 Update



Busy schedule
I got home in early August and will be here until early October. Then I’ll be in China until early December. My time in China was wonderful. It was made even better because Janelle came for ten days. We’re hoping someday to go together – a much better idea! She loved the Chinese people and they loved her. In addition, I had the opportunity to teach in a church on a regular basis, to lead Chinese staff Bible studies and to do some short-term discipleship with some of the facilitators. I even got to visit a home church and plan to teach the Song of Solomon to that group when I return.

Janelle and Doc on the Great Wall - China!

While I’ve been in the States I’ve had to do some serious catch up work, but God has opened up some ministry opportunities too. I spoke twice at the University of Arkansas Cru. They started the year with almost 500 students at their weekly meetings! There was standing room only. God is doing some amazing things at U of A. I’m also teaching Old Testament Principles at LeTourneau University in Dallas so I had fly back and forth. I’m also hoping to teach a facility Bible Study at NTSU before I leave.

Even in America, I do quite a bit of ministry to China via emails and skype. Let me share with you some unedited excerpts:

My friend Jennifer lives in northern China. She’s a believer, but there are no churches in her city. I’m hoping to take a friend who speaks both Chinese and English and travel up to her city and help her find a church. This is what she said (unedited):

“I was very happy talking with you.I am ashamed that I do not often read Bable. … I hope one day you ,Vivian and me get together I can talk with you well.

I am excitting that you really want to come to me hometown.I can show you around the city ,but it is a small city.I can cook delicious food for you.I want to find people to see if you can give a talk to high school students.I think it is helpful for students. … you are really like a father,and a kind of father.”

That would be cool to speak in a Chinese High School!

Also, my good friend June (not her real name) delivered a Bible to a lady we met the last Sunday I was in Beijing. Our friend, Lucy, came to church for the first time and she had never been to church, never owned or read a Bible so I bought one for her in hopes I would be able to get it to her.

Two of my favorite students at Fengtai Church

June wrote me, “I met Lucy and gave her the Bible last Sunday afternoon. She's very happy and joined the Bible study with us after the worship. …

Thank you very much for offering to help me with my spiritual growth.

I'm thinking about "honesty", I treasure it, but it's hard to be honest all the time.

Sometime, it seems I "have to" lie. Hope to find some guidance on the Bible...”

Another time, she wrote:

“Your email is always encouraging! Thank you very much for trying to help again! … It takes courage to let my friends know I'm "lost", I don't feel comfortable to let many more people know that.

I enjoy being with most Christian friends, though sometime I have pressure to let them know I'm still "not sure".

Some friends asked: Then why you are here and so active? Why it takes so long time for you? What are you thinking about? ...

It's okay to be questioned, I'd like to think more carefully and answer them...

I stayed with Jessie and her new husband, Kinson, when I traveled to Hangzhou. Jessie is also a seeker, and asks many good questions. We are planning to restart our study on Romans soon.

Kinson and Jessie - having a baby soon!

She says, “I just be puzzled with one thing. I don't know if you know this. Chinese people believe in some mystery. Kinson and i were born in the year of rooster , and the baby we have next year will be in the year of rabbit. It is said the rooster and the rabbit will not get on well and the baby will not be healthy. If the baby could be born in the year of dragon, which will be in 2012, then will be perfect. You know i don't think it be a big problem, but people say this to you over and over and it will affect me too.

Allen is a doctoral student and a seeker. I sent Allen a newsletter from a friend of mine at NTSU who works with facility. I was sharing with him that in the USA we have a number of Christian who are strong intellectuals and strong in their faith. This was his response:

Allen - one intelligent seeker!

“ I have read the newsletter. I definitely agree with your point that those Christian professors play an important role in preserving and encouraging American values among intellectuals. Those professors are serious and sincere. From the newsletter and according to my experience with you, I can identify such attitudes. On the other hand, it is a pity that in our country many professors have lost their social conscience, and most of them only concern their own interests, fame or wealth. … So sometimes I feel that I am at sea: what is the root cause of these problems in China; to where the county will go. However, no one can give me the definite answers.

… So, one has to address some questions by himself before being a Christian: one, how to clear away what he has been taught form very young in a scientific perspective that the world is established and evolves by itself, which may conflict with the Christian philosophy; two, how to balance the role as a responsible citizen and the role as a Christian, because to be a Christian, one should love everybody, but to be a responsible citizen, one must criticize and even hate someone who does damage to the society. Indeed, now I am in such a dilemma.

I hope what I said would not offend you … In addition, to understand more about Christian, I think it is necessary to read Bible.

I meet Law mine when I visited Guizhou. He is about to graduate from high school. His teacher Vivian became a Christian last summer. When I was in her city she allowed me to meet with some of her English students.

Vivian's English Class - Law mine is beside me

Law mine wrote, "I am so happy to receive your emain again.I am so excited that you don't forget me. … Your suggestions are valuable and I will try to read about Jesus Christ and the Bible.I think I should have one so that I can read it all the time.As you know,Many people in my country believe in Buddhism but I am interested in Christianity.I have read the book about the origin of Christianity..I believe I can benefit from it.I always believe "God bless me"

I want to get into a key university in order that I can have a bright future.My dream is to be a doctor and I will work hard for it all the time … When I am not busy and I will read the Bible and I will ask you some questions about it.”

I emailed Law mine the story of the Prodigal son from Luke 15. I ask for his thoughts. I explained it was about a very difficult, but important idea called “grace.” I wanted to know what he thought.

“I am impressed by the sentence"24For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found".The father was pleased with his son because his son found his way to true life.The father forgot what his son had done and treated him as usual.Sir,the father is god,is he?I think I know what the "grace"is.I think we should admit we are wrong if we do someting wrong.And if we do something to remedy it,we can be forgived by god and people who love us. That is all.

I’d appreciate your prayers and support as I head back to Beijing, China. It’s always an adventure, because I’m not sure exactly what I’ll be doing. For a structured guy that’s always a challenge, but the truth is it always is much better than could have dreamed. Thanks for your partnership.

doc

1 comment:

~ lg said...

Doc, so encouraged to read about all that you are doing and your loyalty to Christ and love for His people in China. Prayers for your time there this fall ~ in His Love, lg