Friday, June 20, 2008

ARRIVED IN CHINA





After 30 hours of flying, layovers and waiting for the rest of the team to arrive in Beijing I made it to our dorm at the University of Beijing at 1:30 a.m. Beijing time.  We've had a couple of days of orientation, getting to know one another and learning basic Chinese phrases, customs and learning how we'll go about teaching English to our students.   It sounds like we'll be going from 8 in the morning until about 9 or 10 at night 7 days a week - ambitious schedule!

One of our weirdest teaching sessions was on how to use what they call a "squatty potty." Apparently they are holes in the floor that flush and everything, but you don't have your throne. So we learned the art of using this Chinese version of our western toilets.  I should have taken pictures of it.   To celebrate  we went out to a Chinese restaurant.  It was an eleven course meal, but you had to use chop sticks It was great fun, but I'm afraid I may loss weight if I don't improve.   I got to play the part of the guest of honor and my seat was between our two facilitators.  It was a real education in Chinese customs.  I included a shot of the heavy rainfall we encountered on our way home from dinner. 

I'd appreciate your prayers that we will do a good job for our students and that God may really shine through us.  

10 comments:

Mandy said...

Dad I love your blog ~ how fun that we get to see pictures of you on your trip. We will check it everyday. We miss you already. Layton has asked several times "Where grandpa go?" LOVE YOU!

Mark said...

Doc, This blog is awesome. I am so proud of you. I can't believe you rode your bike to Mandy and Tim's. I guess the next bike trip is to Alaska. I love what God is doing in and through you. And the beard looks great...way better than one of those you use to glue to your face.

Unknown said...

so glad you have a blog now doc, its always very uplifting to hear about all your service for God. almost didn't recognize you with the beard though...looks good! we'll be praying for ya!
-frank

Unknown said...

That was a great fun to read that your second expression about China is an experience with “holes in the floor” :) There are the same flashing things in Russia, Ukraine and India… looks to me that it is probably some kind of “communistic toilet”:))
-Svitlana,Ukraine

Beckie said...

Doc - love the blog! It will sure help us keep up and pray you throughout your China adventures. Blessings for all you doing for the kingdom - Beckie Hinze

Connie said...

Great to read about you in your blog! Kinda had mixed feelings about not having a picture of the squatty potties. lol. May God bless you in your great adventures for the Lord. I have now added your blog to my favorites so we can keep up with your travels.
Blessings, Connie, New Life Ranch

Julie said...

I met Mandy at New Staff Training with Crusade. Our (to be) husbands were in Branson on summer project then drove to CO together. It was a super fun summer. Looking forward to reading about your adventures in China.

ibjanetb said...

Wow Doc, I didn't realize you had a blog! It is awesome. I loved seeing the pictures from your bike trip. I have been praying for you while you are on your China trip. It is exciting to be able to keep up with you while you are gone. God bless you. You are in our thoughts and prayers. Love, Janet

Lisa said...

Hi Doc! My family will be praying for you! Mandy has been telling me about all your adventures! You are really an inspiration! I will check back often!
Lisa Lee (Borland)

Unknown said...

Doc, it is amazing to see you again and to hear about your amazing adventures. I'm so excited for you and can hear, in your writing, what this is meaning to you and how much you're looking forward to sharing this new part of your life with others. You are a gift. I've never blogged before, so I hope this reaches you! Blessinga and much, much love, Shelley Chapin Drake